Sunday 6 July 2014

What is Curley's wife's dream in Of Mice and Men by John Steinbeck?

Curley's
wife is depicted as one of the loneliest characters on the ranch, and she is unhappily married
to the insecure, domineering Curley. Curley's wife despises her husband, who is controlling and
oppressive. As the only woman on the farm, Curley's wife does not have anyone to confide in, and
the men purposely avoid her because they do not want to lose their jobs.


Curley's wife reveals her dream of becoming a movie star at several different moments
in the story. In , Curley's wife walks into Crooks's small room attached to the barn and
interrupts the men having a conversation. When they attempt to dismiss her, Curley's wife
responds by saying:

Whatta ya think I am, a kid? I tell ya
I could of went with shows. Not jus one, neither. An a guy tol me he could put me in pitchers
(Steinbeck 38)

Curley's wife's comment suggests that she
dreams of becoming a movie star. Apparently, she was told by someone in show business that she
was talented enough to act in movies.

In , Curley's wife walks into the barn
and starts a conversation with , who is worried aboutpunishing him for accidentally killing the
dog. Curley's wife once again reveals her dream by telling Lennie:


Nother time I met a guy, an he was in pitchers. Went out to the Riverside Dance Palace
with him. He says he was gonna put me in the movies. Says I was a natural. Soons he got back to
Hollywood he was gonna write to me about it...I never got that letter...I always thought my ol
lady stole it (Steinbeck 44)

Curley's wife resents her
mother for possibly stealing her letters from Hollywood and holds onto the dream that she will
one day be contacted to act in a movie.

In addition to becoming an actress,
Curley's wife also dreams of leaving her pugnacious, domineering husband. She admits to Lennie
that Curley is not a nice man and regrets marrying him. Similar to the other men on the farm,
Curley's wife feels trapped and is unable to attain her dreams.

No comments:

Post a Comment

In 1984, is Julia a spy? Please provide specific examples from the book. My teacher says that he knows of 17 pieces of evidence which proves that Julia...

There is some evidence to suggest thatwas a spy throughout 's classic novel . Julia portrays herself as a loyal admirer of Big ...