Sunday 15 March 2015

In The Stranger, what attitude does Meursault realize the people at the trial have toward him?

Just like
Maman's funeral, the day of the shooting at the beach, and the magistrate and chaplain's
questioning of him, Meursault focuses on how others determine and judge him silently.  He
realizes the trial process is absurd.  During the reading of the
verdict, the members of the court (the judges, jurors, court reporter, lawyers, and witness) all
avert their eyes toward Meursault:

It seemed to me then
that I could interpret the look on the faces of those present; it was one of almost
respectful sympathy. The policemen, too, handled me very gently.
The lawyer placed his hand on my wrist. I had stopped thinking altogether. I heard the Judges
voice asking if I had anything more to say. After thinking for a moment, I answered,
No.

Whereas Meursault had been previously judged by
unofficial juries earlier in the novel (the old people during the vigil), who would
not...

No comments:

Post a Comment

In 1984, is Julia a spy? Please provide specific examples from the book. My teacher says that he knows of 17 pieces of evidence which proves that Julia...

There is some evidence to suggest thatwas a spy throughout 's classic novel . Julia portrays herself as a loyal admirer of Big ...