Friday 9 March 2018

How does Jack Kerouac use diction and literary devices in On the Road?

(that is,
word choice) and literary devices are especially important elements in s narrative titled
. The style of Kerouacs narrative seems almost as significant as its plot,
and in fact it may be even more significant. Consider, for example, the following passage from
very early in the narrative, when the narrator realizes that his travels have taken him away
from the city where he hopes to meet his friends:

I
cursed, I cried for Chicago. "Even now they're all having a big time, they're doing this,
I'm not there, when will I get there!"-and so on. Finally a car stopped at the empty
filling station; the man and the two women in it wanted to study a map. I stepped right up and
gestured in the rain; they consulted; I looked like a maniac, of course, with my hair all wet,
my shoes sopping. My shoes, damn fool that I am, were Mexican huaraches, plantlike sieves not
fit for the rainy night of America and the raw road night.


In this passage, Kerouac adds to...



No comments:

Post a Comment

In 1984, is Julia a spy? Please provide specific examples from the book. My teacher says that he knows of 17 pieces of evidence which proves that Julia...

There is some evidence to suggest thatwas a spy throughout 's classic novel . Julia portrays herself as a loyal admirer of Big ...