Monday 1 January 2018

What does the old Turk represent in Voltaire's Candide?

The "old
Turk" refers to the deposed Turkish sultan, Achmet III, whomeets in Chapter 26. It is clear
that Achmet, and the other five former kings and rulers with whom Candide finds him, is used
byto satirise the aristorcracy, and in particular, the feeling they have that it is their
"right" to rule. Note how Achmet III introduces himself to Candide:


I was Grand Sultan for many years; I dethroned my brother, my nephew
dethroned me, my viziers lost their heads, and I am condemned to end my days in the old
seraglio. My nephew, the Grand Sultan Mahomet, gives me permission to travel sometimes for my
health, and I am come to spend the Carnival at Venice.


Although figures such as this deposed Sultan and the other kings believe that they possess the
right to rule because of...

No comments:

Post a Comment

In 1984, is Julia a spy? Please provide specific examples from the book. My teacher says that he knows of 17 pieces of evidence which proves that Julia...

There is some evidence to suggest thatwas a spy throughout 's classic novel . Julia portrays herself as a loyal admirer of Big ...