Saturday 2 December 2017

Jem says there are four kinds of folk, but Scout says there is one kind. Which view is correct?

I'm
assuming the rest of that question is "correct" or "accurate". This is a
highly subjective question that really connects to your own value system or prejudices. As for
myself, I agree with . The exchange between the siblings is as follows:


You know something, Scout? I've got it all figured out, now. I've
thought aboutit a lot lately and I've got it figured out. There's four kinds of folks in
theworld. There's the ordinary kind like us and the neighbors, there's the kindlike the
Cunninghams out in the woods, the kind like the Ewells down at thedump, and the
Negroes.

is attempting to understand the prejudice he
sees surrounding him. His division of people into four groups accounts for the hatred and
discrimination he witnesses everyday. When Scout replies "Naw, Jem, I think there's just
one kind of folks. Folks," she is revealing her own understanding of the world around her.
she is not attempting to understand prejudice; she is accepting that it exists. this allows her
to see that all people are one, no matter their background. But Jem doesn't agree:


"That's what I thought, too," he said at last, "when
I was your age. If there'sjust one kind of folks, why can't they get along with each other? If
they're allalike, why do they go out of their way to despise each other? Scout, I think
I'mbeginning to understand something. I think I'm beginning to understand why BooRadley's stayed
shut up in the house all this time . . . it's because he wantsto stay inside."


Jem is worried by Scout response, because it basically means that
there's no logical reason for discrimination based on race or class. This contrasts with his
view of the world as a logical place. That is why he is so upset at the end of Tom's trial:
Logically, Tom should be found not guilty. Jem is very sensitive to how people treat each other,
& his connection toshows that he understands more every day.

No comments:

Post a Comment

In 1984, is Julia a spy? Please provide specific examples from the book. My teacher says that he knows of 17 pieces of evidence which proves that Julia...

There is some evidence to suggest thatwas a spy throughout 's classic novel . Julia portrays herself as a loyal admirer of Big ...