Thursday 22 June 2017

How is Anthropology relevant to YOUR personal and future professional world?

I
think your answer here will really vary depending on what your professional plans are. I've
spent the majority of my career in various facets of education, so I can speak from that lens.

Cultural anthropology is at work in my diverse student populations. Things
such as a person's culture, nation of origin, and age shapes how they perceive the world and how
they interact with other people. Taking into consideration how a student's culture shapes their
interactions with their classmates helps me to structure activities to better facilitate
positive classroom interactions. It also helps me to choose literature that represents a diverse
spectrum of cultures and to help students see the value in writers, and therefore people, who
see the world a little differently than they might.

Linguistic anthropology
is an undercurrent in my literature classes. As we examine how Langston Hughes creates an
authenticin "Mother to Son" to convey a distinctly African American, maternal tone, we
are discussing linguistic anthropology. When we examine the condescending "pet" names
Torvald Helmer calls his wife Nora in "A Doll's House" and how that represents the
societal oppression of women during the late 1800s, we are examining linguistic anthropology.

Personally, I love to travel, so cultural anthropology plays into important
considerations when going to new places. What is the expected dress in new locations? What types
of food can I expect to eat? How do people interact socially? Is there anything that I should
avoid doing so that I do not unintentionally offend someone with different cultural norms? All
of these thoughts reflect cultural anthropology.

No comments:

Post a Comment

In 1984, is Julia a spy? Please provide specific examples from the book. My teacher says that he knows of 17 pieces of evidence which proves that Julia...

There is some evidence to suggest thatwas a spy throughout 's classic novel . Julia portrays herself as a loyal admirer of Big ...