Thursday 26 June 2014

What are the major themes, techniques and purpose of Camus The Stranger?

One of the
dominant themes of(also translated sometimes as The Ousider) is the absurdity of human
existence. Mersault's life simply collapses piece by piece, with no rhyme or reason, and he
seems powerless to do anything about it. Another is the colonial relationship between France and
Algeria. The book is set in Algeria, a French colony. Mersault interacts almost entirely with
French-Algerians, and murders an Arab on the beach. Another is free will. Mersault seems not to
care about the universe, and the universe doesn't care about him. He does things to others, and
things happen to him without rhyme or reason. 

These themes are typical not
just of Camus's work, but of existentialism in general. Existentialism was characterized by the
belief in absolute free will, in the absurdity of believing in any plan for the universe, and
the rejection of dogma, including religious dogma. This sensibility is brought to the surface in
Mersault's confrontation with the chaplain who comes to pray with him before his execution for
murder:

I started yelling at the top of my lungs, and I
insulted him and told him not to waste his prayers on me...He seemed so certain about
everything, didn't he? And none of his certainties were worth one hair of a woman's head. I had
lived my life one way and I could just as well have lived it another. I had done this and I
hadn't done that...And so?...Nothing, nothing mattered, and I knew why. So did he.


Camus's style, in which Mersault is the narrator, contributes to
the sense of the absurd. Mersault does not comment on his behavior, nor does he judge the
behavior of others.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

In 1984, is Julia a spy? Please provide specific examples from the book. My teacher says that he knows of 17 pieces of evidence which proves that Julia...

There is some evidence to suggest thatwas a spy throughout 's classic novel . Julia portrays herself as a loyal admirer of Big ...