Friday 20 April 2018

List two instances of irony in Battle Royal by Ralph Ellison.

Ollie Kertzmann, M.A.

One instance ofis that the white men believe they've put narrator in a position beneath
them because he's inferior to them; in reality, he's using their prejudiced beliefs to rise
higher than them and change the system in a way they won't like. This idea comes partially from
what his grandfather said to him about their family and how they get by. He said:


"Son, after I'm gone I want you to keep up the good fight. I
never told you, but our life is a war and I have been a traitor all my born days, a spy in the
enemy's country ever since I give up my gun back in the Reconstruction. Live with your head in
the lion's mouth. I want you to overcome 'em with yeses, undermine 'em with grins, agree 'em to
death and destruction, let 'em swoller you till they vomit or bust wide open."


The narrator has to keep his head down once...

]]>

No comments:

Post a Comment

In 1984, is Julia a spy? Please provide specific examples from the book. My teacher says that he knows of 17 pieces of evidence which proves that Julia...

There is some evidence to suggest thatwas a spy throughout 's classic novel . Julia portrays herself as a loyal admirer of Big ...