Thursday 22 May 2014

In Voltaire's Candide, what are the main themes found in the old woman's history?

In 's
novel, , three themes stand out in the old woman's tale.


The old woman has not always been a servant; in fact, she was once a member of the
nobilitythe Princess of Palestrina. The first theme I would identify would be that being born to
greatness does not guarantee lifelong happiness. For instance, the old woman speaks of her
betrothal to a prince of Massa-Carrara.

I was about to
reach the peak of my happiness when an old marchesa who'd once been my prince's mistress invited
him to her house for chocolate. He died in less than two hours, with...


No comments:

Post a Comment

In 1984, is Julia a spy? Please provide specific examples from the book. My teacher says that he knows of 17 pieces of evidence which proves that Julia...

There is some evidence to suggest thatwas a spy throughout 's classic novel . Julia portrays herself as a loyal admirer of Big ...