Friday 2 May 2014

In Hemingway's "Hills Like White Elephants," to what extent do they give open expression to their feelings?

€˜If I do it you wont ever
worry?

€˜I wont worry about that because its perfectly
simple.

€˜Then Ill do it. Because I dont care about
me.

€˜What do you mean?

€˜I dont care about
me.

€˜Well, I care about you.

€˜Oh, yes. But I dont care
about me. And Ill do it and then everything will be fine.

€˜I dont want you
to do it if you feel that way.

It might easily be argued
that neither the American man nor Jig give any open expression to their feelings, as in the
excerpt above. They both evade, feign, and falsify their expressions of their feelings, while on
occasion also using sarcasm, as when Jig says: €˜And afterwards they were all so
happy.

The easiest type of expression to see is when Jig overtly tries to
evade further talking about the operation and related feelings. Jig clearly evades by
saying:

'Would you please please please please please
please please stop talking?

At one point, in a moment of
a sort of absent-minded reverie, Jig honestly says, more to herself than to the man, that
everyday it becomes more impossible for them to have their dream of love and
happiness:

€˜And we could have all this, she said. €˜And
we could have everything and every day we make it more impossible.


While her remark leads to an exchange between them, it characteristically ends with
Jig's evasive, €˜Well wait and see.

Shortly after, the man does a good job of
seeming to falsify his feelings then following up with feigning a rationalized expression of his
other feelings: he doesn't give direct and honest report of his feelings:


€˜Doesnt it mean anything to you? ...'

€˜Of
course it does. But I dont want anybody but you. ....'

No comments:

Post a Comment

In 1984, is Julia a spy? Please provide specific examples from the book. My teacher says that he knows of 17 pieces of evidence which proves that Julia...

There is some evidence to suggest thatwas a spy throughout 's classic novel . Julia portrays herself as a loyal admirer of Big ...