Friday 18 August 2017

In the "Battle Royal" section of Ralph Ellison's novel Invisible Man, what are examples of tone, diction, and irony, particularly with respect to the...

The
episode of s novel can be examined in terms of such literary techniques as
, tone, andand also with regard to the theme of the influence of the past on the
future.

Ellisons diction (or choices of
particular words) in this section is especially worth noting. The Battle Royal episode is
narrated in first person, by the very character who experienced the events he describes.
Therefore, the narrators word choices inevitably reveal a great deal about his character and
personality.  In general his diction is clear, straightforward, and unpretentious.  The style he
chooses encourages us to trust him as a reporter of events, especially since he is willing to
criticize himself, as when he says,

I was na¯ve. I was
looking for myself and asking everyone except myself questions which I, and only I, could
answer. It took me a long time and much painful boomeranging of my experiences to achieve a
realization everyone else...

No comments:

Post a Comment

In 1984, is Julia a spy? Please provide specific examples from the book. My teacher says that he knows of 17 pieces of evidence which proves that Julia...

There is some evidence to suggest thatwas a spy throughout 's classic novel . Julia portrays herself as a loyal admirer of Big ...