Friday 25 November 2016

In The Alchemist, what effect does the merchant say Santiago has had on him?

In 's
, the crystal merchant is a man who once had many dreams, as does
Santiago.

For all of his life, the merchant wanted to go on a pilgrimage.
However, work and responsibilities kept him so busy that the dream faded, and that old wish has
become a source of sadness and regret for the merchant. 

One day the merchant
takes Santiago aside, and they smoke the hookah and talk.


Before you came, I was thinking about how much time I had wasted . . . It made me very
depressed. Now, I can see that it hasn't been too bad. The shop is exactly the size I wanted it
to be. I don't want to change anything because I don't know how to deal with change. I'm used to
the way I am . . .

You have been a real blessing to me. Today, I understand
something I didn't see before: every blessing ignored becomes a curse . . . You are forcing me
to look at wealth and at horizons I have never known. Now that I have seen them . . . I'm going
to feel worse than I did before you arrived. Because I know the things I should be able to
accomplish and I don't want to do so.

Santiago enables
the merchant to see personal success that he never before recognized. However, Santiago's
presence has also allowed him to understand that he does not know how to deal with change,
something that is often difficult for many people in the world to face and acceptin fact, it can
often be paralyzing. It is the merchant's unwillingness to change that will forever alter the
way he sees the world and his place in it.

It is interesting that he
considers Santiago's presence a blessing even as he comes to understand the consequences of
ignoring a blessing. Perhaps human nature drives him to be content with his limitations as
opposed to his opportunities. It is sad, too, that he allows his stubbornness to
control his fate. Even Santiago struggles with settling for less than what
his dreams had once guided him towards.

However, whereas Santiago ultimately
decides to continue with his quest, the merchant acknowledges his
unwillingness to change and his acceptance of the disappointments that will accompany his
choice.

Whereas Santiago's quest is reignited in him, the merchanteven with
his new self-awarenesschooses to leave things as they are. His desire to resist change becomes
stronger than his desire to achieve his old dreams. While knowledge drives Santiago, fear of
change appears to shut the crystal merchant down. He is sadly resigned to the way things will be
in his life from this point on.

No comments:

Post a Comment

In 1984, is Julia a spy? Please provide specific examples from the book. My teacher says that he knows of 17 pieces of evidence which proves that Julia...

There is some evidence to suggest thatwas a spy throughout 's classic novel . Julia portrays herself as a loyal admirer of Big ...