Thursday 1 September 2016

In Robinson Crusoe, what attributes/abilities/behaviors are displayed by Crusoe that suggest the class into which he was born feels itself destined...

A prevailing
attitude of manifest destiny certainly characterizesideas after he follows the lure of seafaring
men; namely, to venture forth onto new, exciting horizons where he can "rise by
enterprise"  and conquer. After he sells Xury, thinking it is all right since Xury agrees
to be sold, Crusoe begins to build his sugar empire. However, when a quicker and more lucrative
venture presents itself, Crusoe reacts; he seizes the idea of making a fortune in the slave
trade. Reflecting upon his impulse, Crusoe analyzes his actions:


As I had once done thus in my breaking away from my parents, so I could not be content
now, but I must go and leave the happy view I had of being a rich and thriving man in my new
plantation, only to pursue a rash and immoderate desire of rising faster that the nature of the
thing admitted....But I, that was born to be my own destroyer, could no more resist the
offer.... 

After Crusoe finds himself shipwrecked on a
deserted island, he adopts the Puritan work ethic of his England and sets about creating a world
of his own. Certainly, he exhibits thoughts of his class when he writes,


...to think that this was all my own, that I was king and lord of
all this country indefeasibly, and had a right and possession; and, if I could convey it, I
might have it in inheritance as completely as any lord of a manor in England.


Jeremy W. Hubbell writes that Crusoe exploits the fears of animals
in order to conquer nature:

He employs terror in the same
way the English crown does; he hangs three dead crows as if they were "notorious
thieves" and, consequently, he never sees another bird in that part of the
island.

Once Friday becomes his man, Robinson Crusoe is
happier, but he still exhibits attitudes of English superiority. For instance, when Friday tries
to show Crusoe how to burn out the boat, Crusoe insists that they use their hatchets. His
refusal to accept Friday as an equal reflects the English attitude of superiority; moreover,
Crusoe becomes a patriarch, like the Puritans in his country, to his man Friday, overriding
Friday's wishes. He demands that Friday imitate him develop his state of mind through laborious
exercises, for this is colonialism.

No comments:

Post a Comment

In 1984, is Julia a spy? Please provide specific examples from the book. My teacher says that he knows of 17 pieces of evidence which proves that Julia...

There is some evidence to suggest thatwas a spy throughout 's classic novel . Julia portrays herself as a loyal admirer of Big ...