Monday 18 July 2016

In To Kill a Mockingbird, what are three quotes that display that Jem and Scout show courage through out the story?

In 's
novel, , there are several instances whenand('s children) show courage,
shown in the following quotes.

Chapter One - Jem answers Dill's dare to touch
the Radley house.

[Dill said...], "I won't sa you ran
out on a dare an' I'll swap you The Gray Ghost if you just go up and touch
the house."

...Then I sneered at him.

Jem threw open
the gate and sped to the side of the house, slapped it with his palm and ran back past
us...

Chapter Four - Jem wickedly propels Scout, tucked
inside the tire, into the Radley's yard.

I got to my feet,
trembling as I thawed.

'Get the tire!' Jem hollered. 'Bring it with you!
Ain't you got any sense at all?'

When I was able to navigate, I ran back to
them as fast as my shaking knees would carry me.

'Why didn't you bring it?'
Jem yelled

'Why don't you get it' I screamed.


Jem was silent.

'Go on, it ain't far inside the gate. Why, you even
touched the house once, remember?'

Jem looked at me furiously, could not
decline, ran down the sidewark, treaded water at the gate, then dashed in and retrieved the
tire.

'See there?' Jem was scowling triumphantly. 'Nothing to it.'


Chapter Nine - Scout isn't afraid to take on her cousin Francis
when he insults Atticus.

Francis said he reckoned I got
told, for me to just sit there and leave him alone.

'I ain't bother' you,' I
said.

Francis looked at me carefully, concluded that I had been sufficiently
subdued, and crooned softly...This time, I split my knuckle to the bone on his front teeth. My
left impaired, I sailed in with my right...'

Chapter
Fifteen - Scout takes on the lynch mob when one of the men gets rough with Jem.


'Son, I said go home.'

Jem shook his
head.

'I'll send him home,' a burly man said, and grabbed Jem roughly by the
collar. He yanked Jem nearly off his feet.

'Don't you touch him!' I kicked
the man swiftly. Barefooted, I was surprised to see him fall back in real pain. I intended to
kick his shin, but aimed too high.

In each of the
examples above, Jem and Scout prove their courage, sometimes in the face of real fear, and other
times when they act before they have the chance to be afraid.

No comments:

Post a Comment

In 1984, is Julia a spy? Please provide specific examples from the book. My teacher says that he knows of 17 pieces of evidence which proves that Julia...

There is some evidence to suggest thatwas a spy throughout 's classic novel . Julia portrays herself as a loyal admirer of Big ...