Thursday 3 December 2015

In Defoe's Robinson Crusoe, how does finding corn and rice growing near his fortress make Crusoe think of God? Does the religious feeling last?

When
Crusoe in Defoe's sees the corn growing and finds rice as well, his
thoughts at first turn to God. He is not really a brave man. He is fearful as to how he will
survive. He has not given much thought to God in the past. However, he believes that these
plants are a sign of a miracle of sorts, in that Crusoe is stranded and in dire need of the
means with which to feed himself.

I had hitherto acted
upon no religious foundation at all; indeed, I had very few notions of religion in my head, nor
had entertained any sense of anything that had befallen me otherwise than as chance...


Seeing plants grow so out of place in this climate which was so
alien to the grains, Crusoe sees this as a miraculous gift: he feels blessed that God has
reached out to assist him in his time of need.

But after
I saw barley grow there, in a climate which I knew was not proper for corn, and
especially...

No comments:

Post a Comment

In 1984, is Julia a spy? Please provide specific examples from the book. My teacher says that he knows of 17 pieces of evidence which proves that Julia...

There is some evidence to suggest thatwas a spy throughout 's classic novel . Julia portrays herself as a loyal admirer of Big ...