Thursday 16 April 2015

What are examples of ethos, logos, and pathos in chapter 11 of The Life of Frederick Douglass?


relied heavily on convincing readers of his noble goals in abolishing slavery. His narrative is
rich in logos, ethos, and pathos.

Pathos is seen
in the section of text as Douglass prepares to escape:

The
thought of leaving my friends was decidedly the most painful thought with which I had to
contend. The love of them was my tender point, and shook my decision more than all things else.
Besides the pain of separation, the dread and apprehension of a failure exceeded what I had
experienced at my first attempt. . . . I felt assured that, if I failed in this attempt, my case
would be a hopeless oneit would seal my fate as a slave forever. I could not hope to get off
with any thing less than the severest punishment, and being placed beyond the means of
escape.

In these lines, Douglass conveys several
poignant emotions that elicit sympathy in the reader. He says that in spite of his desperate
quest for freedom, his friendships will be missed greatly. He talks about how he...

No comments:

Post a Comment

In 1984, is Julia a spy? Please provide specific examples from the book. My teacher says that he knows of 17 pieces of evidence which proves that Julia...

There is some evidence to suggest thatwas a spy throughout 's classic novel . Julia portrays herself as a loyal admirer of Big ...