Tuesday 18 June 2013

What levels of meaning do you find in the title of Walker's story "Everyday Use"? What are the possible implications and associations? How many things...

The phrase,
everyday use, could certainly imply lots of things.First, something that we
put to everyday use, that we actually do use everyday, is something that must be fairly
important in the context of our lives.For example, I use my car everyday to get to and from
work, and it is extremely important to me so that I can be on time, leave when I want to, and so
on.The car itself is not particularly meaningful to me, but the purpose it serves in my everyday
life is gigantic.However, I also use my bathroom mirror everyday to maintain my personal
appearance and present myself in a way that feels most comfortable to me.Again, the mirror is
not that important on its own, but the everyday use to which I put it feels quite important to
me.Unlike my car, I use the mirror to prepare myself for my day, and if I did not have it, I
might not feel as confident in my appearance and preparedness.


Even more different, however, are the ideas that I put to everyday
use.These ideas, my values and priorities and goals, I learned from parents and teachers and
friends, and some I have developed independently.They govern my behaviors and choices and, as
such, are incredibly important to me and my sense of self.On the other hand, I also use my
refrigerator every day, and while it makes my life easier, I certainly have no emotional
attachment to it whatsoever.Therefore, everyday use could imply that
something is necessary even if not particularly valuable; it could imply that something is
necessary and of some personal value, or even that it has extreme and significant worth in terms
of our individual identities.

No comments:

Post a Comment

In 1984, is Julia a spy? Please provide specific examples from the book. My teacher says that he knows of 17 pieces of evidence which proves that Julia...

There is some evidence to suggest thatwas a spy throughout 's classic novel . Julia portrays herself as a loyal admirer of Big ...